Archive | January 2011

New fix version released!

Because of some critical issues on the tarball build and an issue with the default bookmarks file, I decided to release version 0.6.3. This has no new features, it’s just to fix those issues.

This reminds me that next versions of Radio Tray shall have saner versions. Something like MajorChange.MinorChange.HotFix. 0.6.2 was released as a minor change version, but the wrong number was increased. I promise to be more careful with this in the future, to prevent any kind of confusion.

Hopefully, this version will install and work smoothly 🙂

Advertisements

0.6.2 is finally ready

Radio Tray 0.6.2 is finally here. Here are the highlights for this version:

Added a "- – resume" parameter to play the last radio station before radio trays was shut down. It’s a command line parameter, so if you want to do this everytime, it’s best to change the command in a launcher or in the startup apps (if you happen to have radio tray start on system startup).

 

Added appindicator support. This is an Ubuntu-only feature. For now, you can still use the usual interface, but on Ubuntu’s next version there’s no system tray, so this appindicator support is the only way to run Radio Tray. Unfortunately, the appindicator is a lot less flexible than the common system tray. Using radio tray with appindicator support means that there’s no tooltips and no mouse-scroll to control volume.

There’s now a sleep timer integrated in radio tray, so that you can all go to sleep listening to radio tray 😉 This feature will probably change in the future. In future version we plan to offer a plugin environment and this feature is a clear candidate for being a plugin.

The main objective for this verson was to fix some bugs, and a lot of them were fixed. There’s still a few in the bugtracker that couldn’t be solved for this version, but next versions will try to fix them. I’d like to thank all  translators for their effort. We now have more languages supported!

As usual, any issues you might find with this version, please report them in the bugtracker.

Thank you all for your support and happy listening 😉

Transifex issues

I’m using Transifex for quite a while and has been working great. However, I didn’t pay enough attention to their latest upgrade, so the translation files unfortunately got a little out of sync with the code in the repository. I was finishing up for releasing 0.6.2, until I found that new translations weren’t being added to the repository. After reading the changes made by Transifex upgrade, I found that I had to change a few things in the whole process. Transifex doesn’t commit to the repository anymore. Now, there’s a command line tool to fetch the changes made in Transifex and merge them with the local files. I just made those changes and updated everything in Transifex. I hope no translations were lost in this process. I’d like to thank all the translators for all the effort to translate Radio Tray. I’m sorry I didn’t discover this sooner. I’m releasing Radio Tray soon, so it’s probable that most languages don’t get 100% coverage. However, if in the coming days, many translators update to 100% I don’t mind releasing a version 0.6.3 with just those changes. Thank you.

Having said that, I have to say I prefered Transifex’s previous version over this one, but it’s a great tool nevertheless. The reason i liked the previous version more, it’s really simple: for me, as a service, Transifex did more with less work from my side. Now, it still works, but we have one more tool installed that needs to be run on our machine, be it manually (when we remember) or automatically (after creating some sort of script). So, it was added more complexity for the user. Nevertheless, I understand that it was getting overwhelming having to sync with so many repositories. And I have to congratulate the Transifex team for their great service, despite all that.